One of the things that makes 3CX so popular is that there are just so many features thrown in to each of their 3 license levels, meaning you can pay for what you need, but then also explore the features you might not have thought about before.
Voicemail to text transcription is perhaps one of those features.
I can see voicemail-to-text being a useful feature for:
- Secretaries and PAs who currently type up voicemails.
- Legal and financial professionals who need to keep detailed notes on every customer interaction for regulatory and billing purposes.
- And road warriors who can get their car to read out emails as they drive, rather than waiting for later.
Take a look at our video below (or on YouTube here) showing how simple this is to set up, or follow the written instructions which are below the video.
How to set up voicemail to text transcription
1. Before you start
2. Google Cloud setup
Once that’s all done Login to your GCloud console.
- Click on the burger menu on the top left of the screen and navigate to “APIs & Services” > “Dashboard”.
- Click “Enable APIs & Services” and search for “Cloud Speech-to-Text API”, select and click “Enable”.In the video it shows “Manage” instead of Enable as I’ve already set this up once, but the next steps are the same.
- Next, Go to “APIs & Services”, then “Credentials” and select “Create Credentials” and then select “API Key”.This creates you an API key which you need to copy and keep for later use.
- Then select “Restrict Key”. Choose a “Name” for the API key, then In “Application restrictions” select “IP addresses”. By adding the IP address of your 3CX system here only your system can access the API. You can find your system’s IP address on your 3CX dashboard and copy and paste it from there.
- Next, In the “API restrictions” section, select the “Restrict key” option and then choose the “Cloud Speech-to-Text API” to restrict access only to this API. Click “Save” to apply your configuration, and that’s the Google Cloud section of the setup done.
3. 3CX set up.
- Login to the 3CX Management console and navigate to “Settings” and then “Voicemail”.
- Tick the checkbox next to “Voicemail Transcription” and then copy and paste your Cloud Speech-to-Text API key into the “Google Speech API Key” field.
- Select your preferred language from the “Speech Language”dropdown menu and click “OK” to apply the settings.
And that’s the setup done!
Now, so long as you have voicemail to email selected for the extension, the transcribed text is included in the email body for received voicemails.
Let’s look at an example I’ve just created.
First, here’s the audio…
And here’s the transcribed text from the email:
Pretty good, I’m sure you’ll agree!
4. Give it a try!
Why not use our FREE 40-DAY TRIAL OF 3CX PRO to give voicemail-to-text, and the many other myriad features of 3CX, a thorough trial?
Ours is the easy way to trial 3CX because:
- We install it
- We host it
- We set it up to your needs
- We provide SIP trunks*
- We provide a handset*
- We provide help & support.
You just have to try it out!
*Trial open to UK businesses only. Handset provision optional and deposit required. SIP trunks provided with free calls credit which can be increased for a charge.